Monday, July 12, 2010

National Match Your Coffee Cup Day

For some reason my co-workers are making fun of me today. Ok, it's a normal day at the office. So, the reason they are making fun of me, today, is that my shirt matches my coffee cup, or more accurately in my case, my tea cup. What Punks.

I can only assume the ridicule is because they did not realize it was July 12th, National Match Your Coffee Cup Day (MYCCD).  The faceless followers of the Patch Hill Party Blog, who are quite intelligent, might be thinking, "I have never heard of this holiday, are you making it up?" Maybe. "Um, " the Faceless Followers continue, "What makes you think you can start a holiday?" And to that I say, this is a Party Blog. I'm pretty sure our mission statement has something in it about creating holidays.

Also, that weird pirate guy started a holiday and if he can do it, I'm certain I can. I'm kind of smart and definitely not as mental as that guy. As proof of both points, I present the following facts:
1. I have not appeared on Wife Swap
2. I do not dress like a pirate

For those that know me, we are not counting the eye patch in six grade, because that was forced upon me when a pencil embedded itself in my eye, thank you Ryan Shaw, and was not worn by choice. For those of you who don't know me, yes, I am the person who had their eye poked out by one of the pencil throwing masses. The eye is fine, it didn't actually get poked out, just impaled slightly. The pencil missed all major eye nerves and vessels, and healed perfectly. So I just had the opportunity to walk around for a few weeks looking like a dork++, button shirt tucked in to jeans that rolled up to reveal a flannel plaid lining plus an eye patch. Sweet.

Luckily, I already knew how to program, and computer rooms had been invented, so, not only did I have friends, but we had a hideout. Anyway, the whole incident was not as impressive as my friend Darlene, who fell backwards while sitting in a chair, and impaled her hand clean through on a pencil that was, thanks to the miracle of shag carpeting, sticking straight up. She still has a scar. On the up side, getting stabbed with a pencil helps one fit in with ones programming peers. There is a worrisomely high pencil-stabbing-incident-rate among those that go on become software engineers. But I digress.

Why should you participate in MYCCD?

1. On MYCCD day, it's easier to find the owner of orphaned cups that get left on your desk or in the kitchen.
2. MYCCD helps socialize engineers, they may actually look at their coworkers to confirm matching status.
3. MYCCD supports local business and Saves the Planet. People will have to buy reusable cups to avoid MYCCD ridicule.
4. MYCCD is fun, fun, fun! (Ok, that's just drunk sincerity.)

As this list proves, when the Patch Hill Party Blog invents a holiday, not only does it help people, it helps save the entire planet. Beat that weird pirate guy.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPaddyWagon

2 comments:

  1. First of all, let me say that I think your holiday rocks! I'm marking it on my calender for next year. Second, I remember the flannel plaid lined pants. I helped you pick them out. (Have I apologized to you for that yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) They were memorable weren't they! They were awesome. Geek classic if you will. Totally not your fault. Plus, I have worn much worse. Mom had a nice matching sweatpants/sweatshirt (in powder blue) combo for me in second grade. I wore it on picture day (which I had probably forgotten about). Even I suspected that was less than cool.

    ReplyDelete